If you already have your own ISBN, you have two options for displaying it on your book:
- Blurb-placed ISBN: Our placement (bottom center of back cover) with our display (barcode, no price)
- Custom-placed ISBN: Custom placement (wherever you want on the cover) with custom display (include price if you wish)
When you use our book-making tools and enable the option to use your own ISBN, you will automatically opt into Blurb placement of your ISBN. If you'd like to have more control over where the barcode is placed on your cover and what information displays, you can add your ISBN and barcode as an image on your back cover. If you use your own ISBN do not select the barcode option in the software or at upload.
Please note that our Trade Books require a Blurb-placed ISBN. Do not include a barcode image on your Trade Book cover, because it will display both your barcode and the Blurb-placed barcode.
Add your own ISBN as an image
Add your ISBN and barcode image to the back of your book as part of your cover design. We recommend adding the barcode as a PNG image rather than a JPG for the sharpest results.
When uploading your book with your ISBN as an image, do not select the option to use your own ISBN because this will add an additional barcode to the back of your book.
Selling on Blurb's site only - Simply add the image of your ISBN and make your book for sale on Blurb.
Selling on Amazon.com - You can choose to add the barcode image to your book's cover or not. Then, upload your book and email us at email@example.com with this information:
- Your Blurb username
- The email address you use for your Blurb account
- Your own, never-before-used ISBN, which has not previously been associated with any other book
- If you have multiple cover types for you book, please include multiple ISBNs and specify which cover type each ISBN is for.
- Confirmation that this is the FINAL version of your book.
- A link to your bookstore preview. You can find this link on your dashboard by clicking the Preview flag on the book cover.
Once we assign your ISBN to your book we will confirm the change generally within 3 business days. Please do not order or submit your book for distribution until you hear back from us.