Required tax information

Zo S.
Zo S.
  • Updated

If you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident, or owner of a U.S.-based business, we need your tax ID or social security number (SSN) when you sell your book for a profit because we’re required to report your earnings to the IRS.

In the U.S., if you make over $600 in a calendar year through sales of your book, Blurb is required to file a 1099 with the IRS. (Note that your 1099 will be issued by Reischling Press, Inc, Blurb's parent company). Blurb does not withhold taxes from your payments, so you’re responsible for paying taxes on your profits. 

And don't worry, the information you provide us, including sensitive information like social security numbers and credit card numbers, is completely safe. Our website transactions are made on a secure server and we encrypt and store SSNs on a machine separate from the rest of our network.

If you're not a US citizen and not living in or running a business in the US, you do not need to provide a SSN or other tax number. However, you may owe taxes in your home country for profits earned through Blurb and can consult a tax professional in your country to learn more.

Was this article helpful?