Are you ordering on behalf of a US-based tax-exempt institution? Or do you have a valid reseller's certificate for a US state? If so you can apply to have US state sales tax automatically omitted from future orders by following the steps below.
Please read this first
- It's your responsibility to ensure that you/your organization can legally have sales tax omitted. If you're unsure, contact a tax professional for advice before you continue.
- Review the information below carefully. Incomplete or incorrect submissions will be rejected.
- Wait for approval BEFORE placing any orders you wish to be tax exempt. We are unable to refund tax on previous orders.
- Please only apply if we currently charge tax in your state.
How to apply
1. Create a dedicated Blurb account for your tax exempt orders
- Once approved, sales tax will be omitted for all purchases under that account.
- This means you must only use the account for qualifying tax-exempt/resale purchases, and only for orders in the US state(s) in which you are exempt or hold reseller status.
- You must use a separate account for personal purchases, non-qualifying/non-exempt purchases, and orders to US states in which you're not tax exempt or not licensed as a reseller.
- Note that tax exempt or reseller status is valid per state. This means that if you hold tax-exempt or reseller status in a specific state it is valid only for orders shipping to that state.
- For example, if you're tax exempt in New York, that doesn't mean you're tax exempt in California, too.
2. Prepare your documents
Scan or photograph your valid state-issued tax-exempt certificate or resale certificate.
- Save the file as a PDF, JPG or PNG file. (No Word docs, please).
- Save the file with your Blurb username, e.g. bookmaker1000.pdf.
- Be sure all information in your documentation is legible. If we can't read it, your application will be rejected.
- Complete any required fields such as vendor name, merchandise description, signatures and dates. If it's incomplete we'll reject it.
- For vendor info, Blurb's address is 580 California St, Suite 300, San Francisco CA 94104.
- A seller's permit is different from a resale certificate. A seller's permit alone is not enough.
- Resale certificates are also known as nontaxable transaction certificates, sales tax exemption certificates, and sales and use tax resale certificates.
- You are responsible for providing the correct and completed forms and knowing the rules and responsibilities of making tax-exempt purchases or purchases for resale. (You don't want the government chasing you up for taxes and penalties, after all).
- We cannot assist you with completing or understanding tax exempt forms but below are a few resources you may find helpful. For additional resources we recommend a Google search for your state and/or consulting a tax professional in your area.
- California resale certificate information.
- California seller's permit vs resale certificate
- Colorado sales tax license (aka resale certificate)
- Colorado exemption application DR0715
- Illinois Certificate of Resale
- Illinois Nonprofits
- Massachusetts sales and use tax guide
- Massachusetts reseller (ST-4) and tax-exempt (ST-5) forms
- Missouri Sales and Use Tax Exemptions and Exclusions From Tax
- New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Forms
- New York State sales tax exemption information
- New York State purchases and sales by governmental entities
- WA state reseller permit
- WA state approved exemption certificates
- WA state policy on nonprofit organizations
- Wisconsin sales and use tax exemptions
- Wisconsin sales and use tax forms
3. Submit your application
Follow these steps carefully. Incomplete or incorrect applications will be rejected.
I. Contact us from the email address associated with the Blurb account you'd like to be tax exempt and include ALL THREE of the following:
i. Your valid and completed document(s).
ii. The subject line of Tax exempt account request
iii. The following message in its entirety, with the username, account email, and exempt US state completed where specified.
- I am requesting tax-exempt or reseller status for the Blurb account of [USER NAME HERE], which is under the email address of [ACCOUNT EMAIL HERE].
- I agree that I will use this account only for orders shipping to the state of [NAME OF US STATE IN WHICH YOU ARE EXEMPT], in which my organization is tax exempt or in which I hold reseller status.
- I agree that once this account is set to tax-exempt or reseller status, it will only be used for qualifying tax-exempt or resale orders for the business or organization named in the documentation I have provided.
- I understand that personal purchases and other non-qualified purchases must not be made under this account and that any misuse may result in suspension of my Blurb account.
- I agree to provide updated documentation before my tax-exempt or reseller certificate/status expires or as requested by Blurb, and agree to inform Blurb if/when my tax exempt or reseller status expires or is revoked.
4. Wait for Blurb to process your request
- We will process your application and keep both your request and documentation on file.
- Processing will take approximately 5 business days from the day we receive your properly-completed request and required documentation. Incorrect or incomplete requests will delay the process.
- Do not place your order before your application has been approved. We are unable to refund tax on orders already placed.
- Once your application has been approved, Blurb will send you an email to confirm the change. You will then no longer see sales tax applied to orders under that account.
Remember, it's up to you to be sure that 1) you qualify for a tax-exempt/reseller account with no tax applied and 2) your orders qualify for tax-exempt status. You may be subject to government fines or other penalties if you misuse a tax-exempt account.
Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this process.