If you are ordering for a tax exempt institution or have a valid reseller's certificate, you can apply to have US sales tax automatically omitted from future orders by following the steps below.
- Please review this information carefully. Incomplete or incorrect submissions will be rejected.
- Please submit your request and wait for approval BEFORE placing any orders you wish to be tax exempt. We are unable to refund tax on prior/existing orders.
1. Create a dedicated tax exempt Blurb account
- Create a Blurb account (or use your existing Blurb account) which will be exclusively for your business's or institution's qualifying tax exempt or resale purchases.
- Once we designate your account as tax exempt, any orders placed using that account will have tax omitted. This means you must only use that account for qualifying tax-exempt purchases.
- You must use a separate account for personal purchases, non-qualifying (non-exempt) purchases, orders shipping to states or regions in which you do not have tax exempt status, or orders shipping to states or regions in which you do not possess a resale certificate.
2. Prepare your documents
Scan your valid state-issued tax-exempt certificate or resale certificate and save as a PDF.
- Save the PDF file with your Blurb username, e.g. bookmaker1000.pdf.
- Please be sure all information in your documentation is legible and complete any required fields, such as vendor name, merchandise description and signatures.
- Blurb's address is 580 California St, Suite 300, San Francisco CA 94104.
- Note that a seller's permit is different from a resale certificate. A seller's permit alone will not suffice for this purpose and will be rejected.
- Resale certificates are also known as nontaxable transaction certificates, sales tax exemption certificates, and sales and use tax resale certificates.
- You are responsible for providing the correct and completed forms, understanding the regulations for your state, and understanding the implications of making tax-exempt purchases or purchases for resale.
- While we cannot assist you with completing or understanding such forms, below are a few resources you may find helpful. For additional resources we recommend a Google search for your particular state and or consulting a tax professional.
- California resale certificate information.
- California seller's permit vs resale certificate
- Colorado sales tax license (aka resale certificate)
- Colorado exemption application DR0715
- Illinois Certificate of Resale
- Illinois Nonprofits
- Massachusetts sales and use tax guide
- Massachusetts reseller (ST-4) and tax-exempt (ST-5) forms
- Missouri Sales and Use Tax Exemptions and Exclusions From Tax
- New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Forms
- New York State sales tax exemption information
- New York State purchases and sales by governmental entities
- WA state reseller permit
- WA state approved exemption certificates
- WA state policy on nonprofit organizations
3. Submit your application
Follow these steps carefully. Incomplete or incorrect applications will be rejected.
Contact us and include ALL THREE of the following:
- Your valid and completed documentation.
- The subject line of Tax exempt account request
- The following message in its entirety, with your user name and account email address where specified:
- I am requesting tax-exempt or reseller status for the Blurb account of [USER NAME HERE], which is under the email address of [ACCOUNT EMAIL HERE]. I agree that once this account is set to tax-exempt or reseller status, it will only be used for qualifying tax-exempt or resale orders for the business or organization named in the documentation I have provided. I understand that personal purchases must not be made under the tax-exempt or reseller account and that any misuse may result in suspension of said account. I agree to provide updated documentation before my tax-exempt or reseller certificate/status expires, or if/when it expires or is revoked, or as requested by Blurb.
By submitting your request you agree, as above, that you will:
- use the account in question only for qualifying purchases,
- use a separate account for personal purchases and non-exempt purchases,
- provide updated documentation showing your continued tax-exempt or reseller status as needed, and
- notify us of any changes to your tax-exempt or reseller status.
4. Wait for Blurb to process your request
- Blurb will then process your request and keep your request and documentation on file.
- Processing will take approximately 5 business days from the day we receive your properly-completed request and the required documentation.
- Do not place your order before your application has been approved. We are unable to refund tax on orders already placed.
- Incorrect or incomplete paperwork or requests will delay the process so follow the steps above carefully.
- Once your account has been designated as a tax exempt/reseller account, Blurb will send you an email to confirm the change. You will then no longer see sales tax applied to orders under that account.
Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this process.