Ordering for a US-based tax-exempt institution or have a valid reseller's certificate? You can apply to have US sales tax automatically omitted from future orders by following the steps below.
- Please review this information carefully. Incomplete or incorrect submissions will be rejected.
- Please wait for approval BEFORE placing any orders you wish to be tax exempt. We are unable to refund tax on prior/existing orders.
- Please only apply if we currently charge tax in your state.
How to apply
1. Create a dedicated Blurb account for your tax exempt orders
- Create a Blurb account (or use your existing Blurb account) which will be exclusively for your qualifying tax exempt or resale purchases.
- Once approved, sales tax will be omitted for all purchases under that account. This means you must only use it for qualifying tax-exempt purchases.
- You must use a separate account for personal purchases and non-qualifying/non-exempt purchases, such as orders to states in which you're not tax exempt.
2. Prepare your documents
Scan or photograph your valid state-issued tax-exempt certificate or resale certificate and save as a PDF, JPG or PNG file. (No Word docs, please!)
- Save the file with your Blurb username, e.g. bookmaker1000.jpg.
- Be sure all information in your documentation is legible. Complete any required fields, such as vendor name, merchandise description and signatures.
- For the vendor info, Blurb's address is 580 California St, Suite 300, San Francisco CA 94104.
- Note that a seller's permit is different from a resale certificate. A seller's permit alone will not suffice for this purpose and will be rejected. Resale certificates are also known as nontaxable transaction certificates, sales tax exemption certificates, and sales and use tax resale certificates.
- You are responsible for providing the correct and completed forms, understanding the regulations for your state, and knowing the implications of making tax-exempt purchases or purchases for resale.
- We cannot assist you with completing or understanding such forms but here are a few resources you may find helpful. For additional resources we recommend a Google search for your state and/or consulting a tax professional.
- California resale certificate information.
- California seller's permit vs resale certificate
- Colorado sales tax license (aka resale certificate)
- Colorado exemption application DR0715
- Illinois Certificate of Resale
- Illinois Nonprofits
- Massachusetts sales and use tax guide
- Massachusetts reseller (ST-4) and tax-exempt (ST-5) forms
- Missouri Sales and Use Tax Exemptions and Exclusions From Tax
- New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Forms
- New York State sales tax exemption information
- New York State purchases and sales by governmental entities
- WA state reseller permit
- WA state approved exemption certificates
- WA state policy on nonprofit organizations
3. Submit your application
Follow these steps carefully. Incomplete or incorrect applications will be rejected.
I. Contact us from the email address associated with the Blurb account you'd like to be tax exempt and include ALL THREE of the following:
i. Your valid and completed documentation.
ii. The subject line of Tax exempt account request
iii. The following message in its entirety, with your username and account email address where specified:
- I am requesting tax-exempt or reseller status for the Blurb account of [USER NAME HERE], which is under the email address of [ACCOUNT EMAIL HERE]. I agree that once this account is set to tax-exempt or reseller status, it will only be used for qualifying tax-exempt or resale orders for the business or organization named in the documentation I have provided. I understand that personal purchases and other non-qualified purchases must not be made under the tax-exempt or reseller account and that any misuse may result in suspension of said account. I agree to provide updated documentation before my tax-exempt or reseller certificate/status expires, or if/when it expires or is revoked, or as requested by Blurb.
By submitting your request you agree that you will:
- Use the account in question only for qualifying purchases,
- Use a separate account for personal purchases and non-exempt purchases,
- Provide updated documentation showing your continued tax-exempt or reseller status as needed, and
- Notify us of any changes to your tax-exempt or reseller status.
4. Wait for Blurb to process your request
- Blurb will then process your request and keep your request and documentation on file.
- Processing will take approximately 5 business days from the day we receive your properly-completed request and required documentation. Incorrect or incomplete paperwork or requests will delay the process.
- Do not place your order before your application has been approved. We are unable to refund tax on orders already placed.
- Once your request has been fulfilled Blurb will send you an email to confirm the change. You will then no longer see sales tax applied to orders under that account.
Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this process.