Follow these steps if you encounter the error messages below when uploading a PDF to Blurb. Be sure to preview your PDF before uploading as well.
1. Preview your book prior to ordering
After uploading your PDF files, prior to ordering, click the PREVIEW BOOK button. Things to look for:
- Is the pagination correct?
- Are your page spreads facing each other?
- Are all elements in the correct position?
- Is there any important content placed close to the dotted trim line? (Keep important content at least 1/4 inch away from that dotted line).
2. Error: fonts not embedded (Microsoft Word)
When a font is not embedded into a PDF file, or the permissions of that font do not allow for printing of the font, you will see this error. This error usually occurs from Windows Microsoft® Word® PDF files where the PDF/A format is not selected.
To resolve this:
- Open your MS Word file and choose SAVE AS ADOBE PDF or SAVE AS from the FILE Menu.
- Make sure settings match the image below.
- Click OPTIONS and be sure the PDF/A checkbox is selected
- Save your PDF(s).
If this solution doesn't apply or does not work for you, you will need to consult your specific application documentation to see how to embed all fonts when creating a PDF file.
If you are getting a preflight error when uploading your Lucidpress-exported PDF, please be sure to follow the directions below for exporting your PDF.
- Select Download from the Menu in the upper-right hand corner.
- Match the settings the in screenshot below.
- Choose "Print-friendly PDF".
- Download your PDF file and re-upload to your Blurb account.
3. Error: registration color detected
- This error occurs when you have used a color of REGISTRATION or ALL within your file.
- Registration colors, like crop marks, should NEVER be used. If you include these marks they will appear in your printed book. Please avoid the use of REGISTRATION or ALL colors for your Blurb projects.
- This is a common error when using Adobe InDesign and there is an easy way to resolve this issue: simply upload the book files from within InDesign using the Blurb InDesign Plug-in.
- If uploading via the plug-in is not possible, then you will have to manually identify and change all elements of your original design from REGISTRATION or ALL to another color such as black/rich black.