Pens for writing in your Blurb book

  • Updated

If you plan to write in your book--for example, a guest book, yearbook or coloring book--you'll want to consider the paper type as well as the pen you use. Below is some info that may help you decide.

Pens: to minimize smudging and show-through, some Blurb customers recommend a pen like the ultra fine point Sharpie or an archival ballpoint pen.

Uncoated papers have a slightly textured feeling with no coating, so it's easier to write on them with a variety of pens, pencils, or even crayons.

  • All of our Trade Book papers are uncoated. 
  • If you're making a Photo Book we have one uncoated paper: Mohawk Superfine Eggshell (formerly called ProLine Uncoated).

Coated papers have a silk, matte, or semigloss coating depending on the paper type.

  • You can write on coated papers but ink may be more likely to smudge before it dries due to the coating.  
  • All of our Photo Book papers, as well as our Magazine papers, are coated, with the exception of Mohawk Superfine Eggshell.

Was this article helpful?